Advance registration has filled.
We are maintaining a waiting list and anticipate some spots may open up. Please follow this link to add yourself to the waiting list. We will contact people on the waiting list as spots become available.
To learn about another Ukulele Holiday with Ben Hassenger in Melaque, Mexico this November 9-16th 2019, please click here
This is a unique opportunity to learn from renowned ukulele teacher James Hill in a small Mexican fishing village north of Puerto Vallarta.
Study Ukulele with
while on holiday in
Jan 25 – Feb 1, 2020
For more information about James Hill, visit his website.
Ukulele in Chacala with Us – Jan 25th -Feb 1st, 2020
The group will have approximately 20-24 students so you will get personal attention plus have time for relaxation on one of the loveliest beaches in Mexico.
The Workshop fee is $400 US and includes:
- Sunday night meet and greet with refreshments
- Four breakfasts followed by two hour morning clinics led by James.
- Four evening jams to prepare materials and work with old and new musical partners lead by Gail MacDonald, a Bellingham ukulele instructor trained by James Hill
- Friday morning performance by the participants
- Friday evening full concert with James and Anne Janelle.
Players of all levels are welcome (see descriptors on registration form) but you should have some basic chords and skills.
Hotel Paraiso Escondido is an expansive property located a few blocks up hill from Chacala Beach for spectacular views of the ocean and village. There is a large pool and patio with lounge chairs, umbrellas and table and chair sets, perfect for enjoying a cold drink or meal from the bar and restaurant. This is also the area where the evening jams will take place.
The hotel has 18 units of varying sizes that are clean and nicely appointed. Each unit has its own balcony with views and is equipped with air conditioning, satellite television and wifi. There is no elevator. More details are listed below with prices based on double occupancy except for the Presidential Suite based on four people using the Suite.
We expect the workshop to fill quickly, so to get the room you want, contact Karla, who is handling the reservations, ASAP. Detail the room you wish from the list below, and she will get back to you about details for paying your deposit. email@example.com
Accommodation Options include:
- Hotel Room furnished with two full size beds, table and chair set and bathroom. Ten rooms available at $525 USD/week.
- Honeymoon Suite with living room, king size bed, bathroom and mini fridge. One Suite available at $630/week.
- Hotel Suite with open living/dining/kitchen area, king size bed and bathroom. Four Suites available at $665 USD/week.
- Master Suite is larger than the Hotel Suite and has a living room set, table and chair set and kitchen; king size bed; and bathroom. Two Suites available at $910 USD/week.
- Presidential Suite is very spacious with a living room, dining room set, kitchen and two bedrooms each equipped with a king size bed and bathroom. One Suite available at $1,330 USD/week.
Photo Slide Show https://link.shutterfly.com/RijBNBw1UX
Transportation to Chacala from the Airport
Participants will have the option of taking public transit or purchasing door to door van service from the Puerto Vallarta airport to the Paraiso Escondido Hotel in Chacala.
Public transportation: this is very easy but involves two taxi rides and a public bus and will take 2 to 3 hours. Catch one taxi at the airport to the large central bus station, about 2 miles away, then Pacifico buses leave every half hour for Las Varas, the town on the main road nearest Chacala. When you get off there, the taxi stand is ½ block away on the same street to catch a taxi to the hotel above. This will cost approximately $30 – $40 US one way. If you like bargaining, you can talk to the taxi drivers in Puerto Vallarta about going all the way to Chacala and often arrive at a deal.
Door to door van service: Arturo runs a very nice van shuttle service from Chacala and will attempt to put those of you arriving close together in a van to save costs. If you prefer this service, wait until you have your plane reservations and then contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know when your flight arrives. The van is $125 one way for 1-4 people and is adjusted by number of passengers.
Chacala is a fishing village with about 400 residents on a beautiful bay about an hour and a half north of Puerta Vallarta. While it has been ‘discovered,’ there are no high rise condos or other resort amenities, including sidewalks! What there is is a lazy charm and one of the best swimming beaches in all of Mexico. There is also an active group of retired gringos here who love the ukulele, and they have enticed James to give a workshop because he has relatives here.
Besides the workshop, you will have plenty of free time for swimming, whale watching and visits to surrounding landmarks such as the petroglyphs. Or just relax on the sand in palapa restaurants serving cold beer and grilled fish. We would recommend you come early to explore the area, or stay after the workshop. Be aware that the weekend after the workshop finishes is a busy 3 day holiday celebrating Constitution Day, so all the beach areas will be extra busy those days.
The Workshop fee is $400 US.
The full $400 US workshop fee is due at registration. With only 20 slots, this will fill up fast and then we will start a waiting list. Register Early to avoid disappointment. You may cancel your registration on or before Oct. 15th for a full refund minus a $50 administrative fee.
Advance registration has filled.
We are maintaining a waiting list and anticipate some spots may open up. Please follow this link to add yourself to the waiting list. We will contact people on the waiting list as spots become available
To learn about another Ukulele Holiday in Mexico with Ben Hassenger this November 9-16th, please click here
Once you have registered you will also need:
- To book hotel accommodations and airport transfers by contacting Karla at email@example.com
- For general questions about topics other than hotel or airport transportation, please contact Lola at barbaralola0101@gmail com
We hope to see you (and hear you) in Chacala!